If you have time watch A Letter from the People of the Cross (3:44)
Read Acts 20:21–25. This is a multi-part study on this passage.
- “I am bound by the Spirit to go to Jerusalem” (verse 22a).
What compels a person to bring the gospel to unreached Muslims?
- “I don’t know what awaits me, except that the Holy Spirit tells me in city after city that jail and suffering lie ahead” (verses 22b–23).
What would cause a person to move toward difficulty and danger, instead of away from it, for the sake of the gospel?
Watch Multiply Indonesia (4:17)
- “My goal is not to become just another Western missionary reaching out to Muslims. My goal is to be a part of something sustainable. To train Muslims believers to reach out to others around them. When they minister in the heart language and the forms of their Muslim neighbors, people respond. They brighten and listen intently.”
What does it mean to be a Western missionary?
Is this (non-Western) strategy appealing to you? Explain.
- “The Muslim objection we face is whether or not Jesus is God. We challenge them to ask God for themselves. It works. God speaks through dreams, visions, healing. Muslims are taking notice.
Why is this an effective way to address questions?
How does this differ from how we tend to handle objections to the gospel?
Watch Come to Sumatra (1:30)
- What do all these questions say about the nature of ministry to unreached Muslims?
All excerpts are from Miraculous Movements, by Jerry Trousdale. Read these statements and answer the questions that follow.
- “Miraculous movements are sweeping through some parts of the Muslim world today” (p. 13).
Why do you think this is so?
- “If Christians can begin to engage Muslims beyond the headlines of burkas and bombs, we will discover hundreds of millions of disheartened and discouraged people” (p. 13).
Why would this be true today?
- “Disciple people to conversion, not vice versa. This kind of discipleship model—one that begins with discipleship and moves toward the point of conversion—is how many Muslims are becoming Christ followers” (p. 43)
Why is this such an effective way to convert Muslims?
Do you think it's true among others as well?
Become SOGY. Support others by forming a World Team or go yourself by contacting a mission agency. Describe your journey of becoming SOGY.
Reflect on what you have learned in this meeting and let it guide your prayer as you pray together as a group.